"BURY ST.EDMUNDS WAR MEMORIAL"

To the eternal memory of the men of Bury St.Edmunds who died in the service of their country

The memorial cross in Angel Hill has no names, these are recorded in a Book of Remembrance in the Cathedral.
Thee are very many small memorials and plaques in the town, which hopefully will be added here in time
Any photographs and details would be most welcome - contact webmaster@undyingmemory.net



photo from www.allenjfrantzen.com

The Cross was unveiled on 13th October 1921 by General Lord Horne GCB KCMG ADC, dedicted by the Bisop of St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich. A Celtic cross, 4.5 metres high on a three stepped base, in Clipsham stone. Designed by architect Sidney Naish and constructed by builders Messrs Linzell and Edmundson.

The inscriptions are :-
West face
1914-1919
1939-1945
IN PROUD AND THANKFUL MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF NURY ST.EDMUNDS
WHO WENT TO THE GREAT WARS
AND LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM
East face
TO
THE GLORIOUS DEAD
LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER
SEE TO IT
THAT THEY ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
North face
THE ROLL OF HONOUR WHICH RESTS ON A LECTERN
IN THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST.JAMES
CONTAINS THE NAMES OF 427 MEN OF THIS TOWN
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE

South face
THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED BY
GENERAL LORD HORNE CB KCM
ON THURSDAY OCTOBER 13TH 1921

go BACK to Bury home page


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.