"CARLTON WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of CARLTON who died in the service of their country
10 in the Great War of 1914-1919 and 2 in 1939-1945
Carlton war memorial stands in front of St Peter's Church, on a grass island at the junction of Church Road with Carlton Green Road. It is a free standing
Latin cross of Portland stone and a stepped square plinth. It is surrounded by a concrete kerb and a flowerbed.
The lettering was becoming illegible and in 2009 The War Memorials Trust gave a grant of £474 to clean the memorial with soft bristle brushes and water
and to fill in the letters with a coloured mortar.
The inscription on the front reads "Faith unto death" on the head of the cross; "1914 -1918" on the base of the cross and "Erected to the memory of the men
of Carlton" on the sloped top to the plinth. The names of the 10 fallen of the Great War are incised on the front face of the plinth, and 2 more names, from
1939-1945 are incised on the rear of the plinth.
At present no details as to builder, date of dedication or who unveiled the memorial have been found.
go BACK to Carlton home page
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.