"FLEMPTON cum HENGRAVE WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of FLEMPTON cum HENGRAVE They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
who died in the service of their country
Twenty Four in the Great War of 1914-1919
Flempton and Hengrave each have a church, but Hengrave is rather different. When in the 1940s, Hengrave Hall was sold, it came into the possession of a Catholic order of nuns, the Sisters of the Assumption. They ran the hall as a boarding school for a few years; and then, in the seventies, it became an ecumenical retreat centre, with the church as its chapel. It does not even have the name of a Saint as other churches, it is just the Church of The Reconciliation. So for Anglican purposes for public worship, the church is St. Catherine's, Flempton.
Flempton cum Hengrave has within the church of St. Catherine, on the north wall of the nave, a white marble tablet, mounted on a slab of slate, surmounted by the royal crest. It commemorates the twenty four men of the parish who gave their lives during the Great War of 1914-1919. The names are listed alphabetically in four columns of six names, giving first name, any other initials and surname. Oscar Palmer has the initials of the Croix de Guerre.
There is also a brass plaque to the memory of Pte Arthur Herrington, Grenadier Guards, who died in Pretoria, South Africa on 21st June 1900
From the Bury Free Press of 30th October 1920. The road side cross at the boundary of Flempton and Hengrave appears to have suffered from, possibly, a road accident. The tall column headed by a cross bottony now has no column, just a plain metal Latin cross on the original ? base. No paved area now, just a patch of grass within a scruffy hedge and small trees.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,