"FORNHAM ST MARTIN WITH ST GENEVIEVE WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of FORNHAM ST MARTIN WITH ST GENEVIEVE
who died in the service of their country
Fifteen in the Great War of 1914-1919
The Bury Free Press 9th April 1921 carried a report, the memorial being unveiled by Lt.Col. LONG O.B.E. on 3rd April 1921
Just inside the church yard of St Martin's, the memorial consists of a Celtic granite cross on a tapering stepped base. The builders were F.H.Goddard.
Reported in the Bury Free Press on 9th April 1921
Stirring Addresses at Fornham St Martin - memorial to the Village Fallen Soldiers:- On a glorious April afternoon, with summerlike weather, the memorial cross erected at Fornham St.Martin was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday afternoon in the presence of a large number of people. The memorial, the work of Mr.F.H.Goddard, of Bury St. Edmunds, consists of a silver grey Cornish granite Celtic cross, approximately 16 ft high and stands in the churchyard next to the main road.........
The address was given by Canon F.H.Fulford R.D.......Lt.Col. Long O.B.E.,unveiled the memorial and read the list of names, the dedication being performed by the Rev. H.Buckton (rector)
Inside the church are framed and glazed Rolls of Honour of those who served and those who died
The Church of St.Martin
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.