"FRECKENHAM WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of FRECKENHAM who died in the service of their country
17 in the Great War of 1914-1919 and 5 in 1939-1945
FRECKENHAM war memorial stands just inside the churchyard of St. Andrew's, Freckenham. It takes the form of a Celtic cross, eight feet high on a tapered base
, raised on a square plinth.
Dedicated in February 1920, it was built by Messrs H.G.Neville & Sons. In 1948 the 1939-1945 names were added to the plinth and the memorial was re-dedicated by the Right Reverend Richard Brook, Bishop of St.Edmundsbury & Ipswich on the 7th November 1948
It was Grade II listed in May 2007, having received a grant of £250 from the War Memorials Trust for Conservation in 2006
The inscription on the EAST face reads:-
GLORY OF GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL
AND ABIDING MEMORY OF
17 OFFICERS AND MEN
OF THIS VILLAGE
IN THE GREAT WAR
and below that
and on the plinth
"THE RIGHTEOUS LIVE FOR EVERMORE, THEIR
REWARD IS ALSO WITH THE LORD,AND THE
CARE OF THEM IS WITH THE MOST HIGH"
and on the plinth below them are
and on the plinth below them
Church of St Andrew, Freckenham
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,