No. SE/9689, Private, John Henry BARKER
Royal Army Veterinary Corps
John Henry BARKER, born Nottingham [7b:297 Q2-1876], the son of John Robert and Catherine BARKER (née MAYE ).
1881 census... Aged 4, he was at 4 Dobb's Yard, Orchard Street, Nottingham with his father John R BARKER , cab driver born Grantham; mother Caroline  born Nottingham and sister Emily  born Nottingham.
1891 census...Aged 14, he was working for trainer Martin Gurry at Abington Place, Bury Road, Newmarket. His parents were at 7 Agnes SDtreet, Nottingham St Mary's with his sisters Emily and Mabel , brothers Albert Edward and Will Frank [7 months].
He married to Newmarket born Ellen WEBB in 1897.
1901 census...Aged 25, a stablelad, he was living with wife Ellen  and daughters Mabel  and Kate at Church Street, Exning. Wife and daughters all Newmarket born. His parents, brothers Albert and Frank, sisters Emily,Mabel and Kate  were at 30 Greyfriars Gate, Nottingham.
1911 census...The family were living at 2 Kimberley Terrace, Field Terrace Road, Newmarket. They now had a son Jack  and three more daughters, Ivy  Violet  and Millie [7 months]. Ellen's brothers William and Frank were with them. His mother appears to have died in 1914 in Nottingham.
His death certificate states that an inquest on 28th April 1919 determined that he died of a fractured skull accidentally caused by the kick of a horse. He died in Rous Hospital, Newmarket and he is stated to be "of Exning, Newmarket, a stableman". Records do not show when the accident occurred, but the CWGC headstone would indicate during military service, but at present any discharge date to the Reserve is not known. The ClZ on his medal card signifies he was transferred to Class Z Reserves on discharge. The pension card records that a widow's pension was refused in 1919, his widow was at 2 Kimberley Terrace still.
The Class Z Reserve was a Reserve contingent of the British Army consisting of previously enlisted soldiers, now discharged. The first Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. When expected problems with violations of the Armistice with Germany did not occur, the Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.
click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details