OTHER MEMORIAL PLAQUES IN NEWMARKET
ST. MARY'S CHURCH
Major George Edward Savill Young was the brother of Henry Brook Young, the Rector of St Mary's in 1911 census
This appears to be his only connection with Newmarket
Thomas Edwards has so far eluded positive identification
ALL SAINTS CHURCH
The main memorial in All Saints' Church is a carved wooden altar near the vestry door. Carved from oak, it holds the names of 102 victims of the Great War. Made from Austrian oak, costing £400, designed by Mr.Leopold E.Cole A.R.I.B.A. of Newmarket and made by Linzell & Edmondson (Foreman Carpenter A.Boys). It was dedicated by the Ven. W.T.Farmilo, Archdeacon of Sudbury.|
It is 9ft 4" (2843 m/m) high, 8 ft (2436 m/m) wide and 3ft (914 m/m) deep.
The altar table was a gift from Lady Edith Windham "in Memory of and to the Glory of God and in loving memory of Charles Douglas-Pennant Lt. 1 Battn Coldstream Guards, killed near Ypres 29 Oct.1914"
at this time it has not been possible to obtain decent photographs of this memorial
Hand written Roll of honour in All Saints Church, all who served and all who died in WW1
Hand written Roll of honour in All Saints Church, all who died in WW2
Flagstones commemorating those who fell in 1939-1945
St. AGNES CHURCH
to the memory of
2nd Lieutenant Royal Horse Guards
9th son of the 2nd Earl of Durham
Born 18th January 1871
Killed in action against the German Army at Zandvoorte
October 30th 1914
This tablet is erected by some of those friends who knew and loved him
To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die
Pro Patria Mori
1914 - 1918
TO THE GLORY OF GOD & IN GRATEFUL MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR HUMANITY IN THE GREAT WAR
WILLIAM ALBERT BOND...........FREDERICK LESTER RICKABY
Kings Royal Rifles...........................Tank Corps
ALBERT G.W.MANNING..........EDWARD P.WILLSON
Rifle Brigade..................III Grenadier Guards
HUGH CECIL MOXON Lt
5 Beford Regiment
STILL FOR THEM HIGH SERVICE WAITS THOUGH EARTHS LAST FIGHT IS FOUGHT
IN FURTHER REMEMBRANCE OF THE
MEN WHO FELL IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
MAURICE ADNEY ELLIS ENNION.....................WILLIAM CHARLES GREEN
RAF..............................................1st Cambs Regt
ROBERT FREDERICK HALLIWELL..............................JOHN LAMBTON
CHARLES OSBORNE..................................ORTON SIDNEY TAYLOR
1st Duke of Cornwalls Light infantry.............1st Cambs Regt
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH PLAQUE
EXNING ROAD PLAQUE
This particular Memorial has a page of its own on this website....click here Exning Road
Post Office Great War plaque
Post Office World War 2 plaque
Conservative Club plaque
ASTLEY CLUB PLAQUE
The Racing Stables Mission was actually a completely separate entity to the Astley Club, being more concerned with the spiritual needs of the racing lads, whilst the
Astley Club, on Vicarage Road, was more in tune to their recreational needs. The Mission was located in Park Lane, up a little lane almost opposite the junction of
Park Lane with Park Avenue. When the Mission closed the plaque was taken into care by the Astley Club and moved with them to the present site in Fred Archer Way.|
The plaque went missing for a while, but it was being stored with the Racing Museum. It is now (2015) safely re-installed in the Club, now known as the Newmarket Racing Centre. I suspect it will continue to be known as the Astley Club !. All that remains is for me to get a more up to date photograph
This plaque is of particular significance since in some cases it is currently the only link between the casualty and Newmarket. Hopefully for some lads who may have been apprentices or jockeys, the racing records may eventually reveal more information about them, although in the grand scheme of things, horses histories were always more assiduously recorded than humans
ST. PHILIPS AND ST ETHELDREDA
previously the Workhouse Chapel, Exning Road
Carved frame, no names in carving
Printed names of all who served with those who failed to return in the centre column
All who died in Service for their Country
Arthur Raymont DRAKE and Albert TILLEY are on both the Exning and Newmarket War Memorials
William GOODCHILD; Selwyn Vermon LAWS; James TURNER are on the Exning War Memorial
There were two different Sidney BUTCHER, one is on the Newmarket War Memorial, and the other on the Exning War Memorial
Opening photo from the collection of Peter Norman
Nurses Home and Children's Ward in Cardigan Street,erected in 1923
When the town war memorial was erected after the Great War, there was a cash surplus and this was used to build a home for the district nurses, incorporating a children's /maternity ward, dedicated to the memory of the men who fought in the Great War 1914-1918. On a site in Cardigan Street, gifted by Major D. McCalmont, and designed by architect Mr Leopold E.Cole and opened by Princess Mary, Viscountess Lacelles, on Thursday, November 1st, 1923|
It is interesting to note that the idea was first approved in January 1923, estimated to cost £1,250. In February Mr. H.F.King's tender of £1,386.10s (excluding central heating) was accepted and planning permission was granted on 19th February. It was decided, despite the extra cost, to incorporate a ward with 6 cots for children, This cost was quickly covered by donations and The Hon George Lambton defrayed the cost of the central heating. As well at the children's ward, the accommodation included a doctor's surgery and living accommodation for two nurses.
Plaque for the crew of Stirling AA-N at the July Racecourse
Short Stirling Mk3 R9245 c/s AA-N was delivered to No.75 (New Zealand) Squadron, R.A.F. on 5/10/1942|
On the night of the 16th December 1942 nine Stirling bombers of the Squadron were detailed to undertake a Gardening Op (dropping mines)off Bordeaux. The surface wind at Newmarket around take off time was fluctuating and tending toward crosswind. Then it backed severely so that the flare path was downwind. During take-off at 21.45hrs, the first three aircraft swung badly on take off, but this was promptly rectified and they became airborne. The next Stirling due to take off, R9245- AA-N, Piloted by Sgt. Benjamin Franklin, was subjected to the same wind effect causing it to swing dangerously, but Sgt. Franklin kept power on to counter it and continued the take-off attempt. The aircraft became airborne briefly but crashed a mile away from the airfield. Two mines exploded and all the crew were killed. The remaining aircraft, due to take off, were grounded.
It was later established that the starboard undercarriage had hit Devil's Dyke (a mound around the perimeter of Newmarket airfield) and broke off the oil tank to the starboard inner engine, causing it to seize and turning the aircraft into the ground.
Pilot - Sgt Benjamin Allan FRANKLIN - RNZAF rests in Newmarket Cemetery.
Navigator - Sgt William Henry WHITCOMBE - RNZAF rests in Newmarket Cemetery.
Flt Engr - Sgt William, Joseph LAWRENCE - RCAF - rests in Newmarket Cemetery.
Air/Bmr - Sgt Edgar William HARVEY - RNZAF - rests in Lakenham (St. John the Baptist and All Saints) Churchyard.
W/Op/Air Gnr - Sgt Harold Rangi WELCH - RNZAF - rests in Newmarket Cemetery.
Air Gnr - Sgt Tom PASCOE RAF rests in Ashburton (St. Andrew) Churchyard Extension.
Air Gnr - Sgt Eric James BURBRIDGE RAF rests in Wandsworth and Streatham Cemetery, Surrey.
A local busines man, Mike Nicholas, finding the original memorial plaque had corroded away, leaving just the stump of its stake, sponsored its replacement with a cast bronze plaque, this time including the names of the crew.. The new plaque was dedicated by Rev.Colin McCARTY on Thursday 25th August 2016. It can be found on the town side of the Dyke by the 5 furlong marker of the race course
Plaque for the 99 Squadron R.A.F. at the Rowley Mile Racecourse
This memorial, unveiled in September 1985 by the Member's Entrance to the Rowley Mile Racecourse, commemorates 99 Squadron R.A.F. 1917 to 1976. It consists of a propeller blade recovered from the wreckage of Vickers Wellington Mk1, ser.no.T2888,c/s LN-R from 99 Sqdn (Dec 1940-Feb 1941) which crashed at Stag's Holt, nr Wisbech on 11th/12th February 1941.|
On the block, a plaque, below the squadron crest and an etching of a Wellington, is inscribed:
99 SQUADRON DEC 40/FEB 41
OF WHICH THE PROPELLER BLADE ON THIS
MEMORIAL WAS RECOVERED
CREW ABANDONED AIRCRAFT
OVER WISBECH FEB 1941
ALL WHO SERVED WITH
ROYAL AIR FORCE
BEWTWEEN ITS FORMATION
AND DISBANDMENT IN 1976
THE SQUADRON WAS BASED
HERE FROM SEPTMEBER 1939
TO MARCH 1941
The wall plaque on the right commemorates Cpl John "Jack" Taylor, a Newmarket man who was awarded the George Medal when rescuing personnel from a burning aircraft at RAF Newmarket and later, at another station, he was awarded the British Empire Medal, again rescuing personnel from a burning aircraft.
'Jack' survived the war to become a well known business man and Councillor in Newmarket.
Original 99 Squadron plague at Rowley Mile stands
Some school and church plaques, which are known to have existed, have been lost. All Saints School and the Congregational Church plaque names were recorded in the Newmarket Journal at the time of their unveiling.