Alf and Edith Dunmore, around 1947 All gone, replaced late 1960s by the advertising hoarding. 2019, about where the blue car is, left bottom of this photo
For some, so far unknown, reason, it was often referred to as "The Pelican" but always Albion Stores in official documents. It has been surmised that the brewery sign was a pelican, but Lacon's bird is quite definitely a hawk of some kind.
Situated on the left of the alleyway into The Rookery from Wellington Street. Closed some time in the late 1950's.
Lacon's brewery in Great Yarmouth started in 1760. In 1952 the company sold 20% to Whitbread who bought out Lacon's altogether in 1965, closing the brewery 1968. Lacons deposited a sample of their brewing yeast in 1957 at the Norwich-based National Collection of Yeast Cultures, as a backup in case their own cultures got contaminated. This enabled a new company, having negotiated with Anheuser-Busch InBev to secure the name and its intellectual property, to start up in 2013 using the original yeast,and so Lacons trades again today from Great Yarmouth.
1899...Charles H.ROBINSON...transfer of licence..Cambridge Chronicle & Journal 14-Apr.1899.
1899...Application to rebuild (EF506/12/83) June 1899...Bury St Edmunds Records Office
1899...John Lemmon DOE...temp.tranfer of licence..Bury Free Press 28-Oct.1899.
1899...John Lemmon DOE...full transfer of licence..Bury Free Press 9-Dec.1899.
1906...John William DEWAR...Cambridge Independent Press.
1911...Frederick DUNMORE..enumerator has premises as The Pelican..census.
1913...Frederick DUNMORE..witness in case against Lacon's Cambridge manager..Cambridge Independent Press 24-Jan.1913.
1916...Edith Emma DUNMORE..tranfer of licence from husband as he was mobilised..Bury Free Press 2-Dec.1916.
1919...Frederick DUNMORE..transfer of licence on return from Army..Cambridge Independent Press
1939...Alfred F and his mother Edith M DUNMORE..1939 register..father had died in 1938.
Year Licensee Owner source 1899 R.W.Bixby Lacon's Brewery Cambridge Daily News 1899 Charles Henry Robinson Lacon's Brewery Cambridge Daily News 1899 Application to rebuild (EF506/12/83 Lacon's Brewery Suffolk Records Office 1899 (Oct) John Lemmon DOE Lacon's Brewery Bury Free Press 1901 John Doe Lacon's Brewery census 1906 John William Dewar Lacon's Brewery Cambridge Independent Press 1911 Frederick Dunmore (enumerator has "Pelican") Lacon's Brewery census 1916 Edith Emma Dunmore (Fredk. mobilised) Lacon's Brewery Cambridge Independent Press 1919 Frederick Dunmore (died 1938) Lacon's Brewery Cambridge Independent Press 1939 Alfred F and Edith E Dunmore Lacon's Brewery 1939 register
Looking from New Cut, along Wellington Street, towards the High Street
Alf and Edith Dunmore, around 1947
All gone, replaced late 1960s by the advertising hoarding.
2019, about where the blue car is, left bottom of this photo