BULL, in St Mary's Ward

Location:- High Street, going east from Market Street


Brewery or Owner:-- Greene,King



In earliest days sometimes as the Black Bull.
Comparing maps there is apparently little change here, the rear entrance used to lead to the Market Place opposite the Bushel and still does, except it is now to the service area behind the Rookery precinct. Internally quite different but the outbuildings would be recognisable to time travellers from the past. Any number of businesses have operated from the yard, but it is now solely used by the pub, boasting an extensive beer garden (since 2008). There was a serious fire in the roof over the kitchen on 2nd February 2005.Six fire engines, from Newmarket, Bury and Soham attended . It was closed for 2 weeks in October 2017 for renovations, re-opening on 27th October.

click here to go to the Newmarket Shops website for more details

and

click here to go to the The Bull's own website for more details

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1787 Chapman's map
1812 ? Granger unknown Bury & Norwich Post
1823 Vincent Finton unknown Pigot
1836 Vincent Finton but advertised for rent unknown Bury & Norwich Post
1839 Thomas Smith unknown Pigot and Robson directories
1851 Thomas Smith (died 1853) unknown Gardener
1855 Ann Smith (widow of above) unknown White
1865 Ann Smith unknown Post Office
1868 Georgiana Berry unknown Morris
1869 Robert Moody (Jun) unknown Post Office
1871 Harriet Simpkin unknown census
1873 George Kerry unknown Harrods
1874 George Kerry unknown White
1879 Robert Jacob unknown Kelly
1891 Robert Jacob Moody census
1892 Robert Jacob Moody Tindall's and Kelly's
1896 Oswald Poole Greene, King Kelly's
1900 William Charles Stephenson " " Kelly's
1901 William Charles Stephenson " " Census
1916 William Charles Stephenson (to Army) " " Kelly's
1916 Ethel Maud Stephenson (wife of above) " "
Aug.1917 Florence Brown " " Cambridge Daily News
1917 Charles James Christopher Stephenson (died 1919) (father of William Charles Stephenson) " "
1919 Emily Cass Stephenson (widow of above) " "
1932 J A Scanlan (died Apr 1932) " " BFP
1932 Mrs Norah Leek (daughter of above) " " BFP
1937 Edward Jason Andrews " " Kelly's
1937 Edward Jason Andrews " " Kelly's
1939 Edward J Andrews " " 1939 register
1945 ? Reginald Frederick Craig (son-in-law of above) " "
14-2-74 Paul Francis Patrick Conlon " " licensing records
19-12-74 Russell Stewart Wells " " " "
18-12-75 Derek Charles Birkett " " " "
12-7-79 William Stoneham " " " "
1991 James Moore " " local knowledge
2002 Colette McKiernan " " Newmarket Journal Feb 2005
2019 currently an error in licensing register on line

click here to go to www.newmarketshops.info for more information




circa 1906




circa 1918




Newmarket Cycling Club 1950's



R1980s?


The Corn Exchange, at rear of Bull yard
used for many years in its latter days to store the market stalls
In the back ground is Alma House, for many years Holloway's Butchers and now (2019) R.S.P.C.A shop



1987



2005




BACK to SEARCH page