Oakfield House at junction of Old Station Road and Vicarage Road, facing Rous Memorial housed the Calcutta Turf Club in Newmarket:
The Royal Calcutta Turf Club, founded in 1847 in Calcutta, British India, became the premier horse racing organization in India during the British Raj. At one time it was the governing body for almost all courses in the sub-continent, defining and applying the rules that governed the sport.
Requisitioned as Officers mess for RAF Newmarket early in WW2 then became living accommodation for nurses. Later demolished to be replaced by town houses on Old Station Road and a doctor's surgery on Vicarage, which in turn is due to have houses added and become a residential site
|Year||Sec. or Manager||Owner||source|
possibly 1930s From Vicarage Road - undated from heath on Old Station Road - undated As nurses accommodation in 1950s 2018
From Vicarage Road - undated
from heath on Old Station Road - undated
As nurses accommodation in 1950s