CROWN

Location:- High Street, north side


1901..............................2019

The Crown is amongst the oldest hostelries in Newmarket, dating back to at least 1577. We are not 100% certain if it is on the same site, but the Crown was bequeathed in 1604 by Thomas Dane to Christopher Funston (senr) who handed it on to his son Christopher (died in 1617) before his father who died n 1625).
Since 1969 reduced considerably in area. As late as the 1960's is was used by many bus firms as a convenient stopping place between Norwich and London and the yard, with possibility of a "drive through" was often full with buses.,

Ceased to operate as a pub in 2009. Now trading as a Thai restaurant with accommodation (Crown Rooms) above.

click here to go to the Newmarket Shops website for more details

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1768 Chapman's map
1787 Chapman's map
1839 Francis Linch Bloss Pigot
1841 " " census
1850 " " " " Slater
1851 Frederick L Bloss " " Gardner
1855 " " White
1858 Feb. James Bartholomew Occomore
1861 " " unknown census
1871 " " census
1874 James Bartholomew (plus White Lion) White
1879 Annie Bloss (Mrs) Post Office
1881 " " census
1891 " " census
1901 Frederick Bloss (died 1902) census
1904 Frank J.Whitehurst Bailey &amop; Tebbutt Kelly
1911 " " " " census
1916 " " unknown Kelly
1925 Ralph E.Staples " " Kelly
1926 Jack Kelsey " "
1932 James Spencer " "
1933 Francis G Tewkesbury " " Kelly
1936 Herbert Thompson (died 1938) " " Kelly
1939 Freda Thompson (widow of above) " " 1939 register
1991 Michael O'Doherty Watneys local knowledge
24-11-2005 Trevor Taylor Enterprise Inns licensing register
9-10-2009 Trevor Taylor Ei Group plc licensing register
20-10-2010 Joseph Baron Ei Group plc licensing register
19-1-2012 Joseph Baron Crown(Newmarket) Ltd licensing register
27-8-2014 Joseph Baron Street Cafe Ltd licensing register




c1880s



Edwardian



c1908



1950s



1960s



1995................................2006



2009................................2019


BACK to SEARCH page