FIVE BELLS


Location:- St.Mary's Square





around 1900

At least the core of the building is amongst the older pubs/hotels in Newmarket. Named for the fact that St. Mary's Church nearby originally had five bells. Lodgings of the racing tout Daniel Dawson, hanged in front of 15,000 spectators in Cambridge for poisoning horses belonging to Mr. Prince in 1811. He had been hired by 2 bookmaker brothers named Bland. Landlady Mrs Tilbrook was snooping through Dawson's belongings and discovered the poison and informed the law.

When Harriett Moody, her brothers being bankrupt, was finally forced to sell her brewery (site now of New Astley Club) to Greene, King in 1896, The Five bells, together with the Star (now Pizza Express), Grosvenor Arms (now The Yard), Woolpack (opposite the Bushel in Drapery Row), Chequers Gazeley, Five Bells Burwell, Kings Head Moulton, Red Lion Cheveley, Royal Oak Dullingham (now private house), Royal Oak Swaffham Bulbeck and the blacksmiths shop in Swaffham Bulbeck. All this for a total of £22,500

On 1 Sept 1805 "At the Five Bells in Newmarket on the 10th day of September 1805, precisely at four o'clock in the afternoon, in the following lots:
A Lot 1. l that messuage, tenement, or public house, situate upon Mill Hill, called the Five Bells, in the occupation of John Griffith; a messuage or tenement adjoining, occupied by Wm.Cross, and two tenements in possession of Mrs Griffith and Mrs Wormwell, with the with the yards, gardens outhouses and a piece of land adjoining, called the Nursery, subject to the estate for life of Sarah Griffith. There were also four tenements adjoining (as Lot 2) but is it not clear if they constituted part of the Five Bells. It does however confirm the existence of dwellings in the Five Bells yard at that time and four families were living in them in the census, therefore at least in 1841.

At one time the stable block was orientated towards the east, and the coaching entrance was through the arch further along, presently the entrance to the Chinese take away. There was access from the corner of the garden to Foley House grounds. It is believed they were reversed during the Great War in 1916, the year in which Greene, King spent £1,159. 10s. 7d on re-building works, a considerable sum at the time, but unfortunately details of the works were not kept.
In 1970 further extensive works were carried out to incorporate several smaller rooms into one larger L shaped public bar, and inside toilets built.
In 1977 the garden was purchased from the owners of the Chinese take away and access made from the rear yard.
In 1990 the private lounge was incorporated into the bar and the kitchen altered for public catering.

16-10-2018 The licence was surrendered on 16th October 2018, the premises sold and change of use sought for conversion to an Islamic Community Centre

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1727 Thomas Symnds Greene, King records
1767 John Griffith Greene, King records
1787 Chapman's map
1793 Sarah Griffith (wife of above0 Greene, King records
1804 John Griffith (son of above) Chapman's map
1805 sold Bury Free Press
1807 George Fielding (till 1813) Thackers of Bury St Edmunds Greene, King records
1811 Tilbrook records of Daniel Dawson's trial
1813 John Yardley Henry Braddock Brewery Greene, King records
1820 " " Tyrell Moody, Brewer, Newmarket Greene, King records
1828 " " " " Greene, King records
1830 James Webb Charles Frederick Moody, Brewer, Newmarket Greene, King records
1832 Jonathan Tilbrook " " Pigot
1832 above impossible as his will was proven in 1829)
1839 Robert Moody Hassall " " Pigot and Robson directories
1841 " " census
1844 " " Harriett Moody, (sister of above) White
1851 " " " " census
1855 " " " " White
1861 Francis Park " " census
1869 Samuel Pilbrow " " Post Office
1871 " " " " census
1874 Jeremiah G. Rosbrook " " White
1879 " " " " White
1881 " " " " census
1885 George Martin " " Kelly
1891 " " " " census
1896 " " " " Kelly
1896 George Smart sold to Greene, King Greene, King records
1901 " " Greene, King census
1911 " " " " census
1916-1917 William James Green (manager) " " licensing records
1925-1931 Willie Faiers (manager) " " " "
1931 Sidney Howard Welch (manager) " "
1964 Sidney Howard Welch (tenant)
9-5-1968 Anthony Howard Pringle (tenant) (grandson of previous) " "
9-5-1991 Robert Stephen Jack (leasehold) " "
Robert Stephen Jack sold to Admiral Taverns
23-6-2009 Helen Jane Greenberry Admiral Taverns (portfolio No 2) licensing register
28-10-1910 Emma Anstee (Ms) " " " "
28-4-2010 James Meehan Moore " " " "
9-8-2011 Mark James Dawson " " " "
18-6-2012 Gemma Cromby (Miss) " " " "
25-11-2014 Claire Elizabeth Dosoruth (Miss) " " " "
16-10-2018 licence surrendered sold for an Islamic Community Centre



1905


1905



Airborne, 1948 Derby winner
Dick Perryman kept 2 hacks and up to four racehorses in the stable here



1953, Sid with Arthur Clarke (seated)



on he left- Bob Jack though the place needed brightening up,
The Council thought otherwise !



A new chapter begins


BACK to SEARCH page