HORSE AND GROOM

Location:- Bury Road



The Horse and Groom was set back from the main road, tucked behind what is now the A.T.S. tyre services (2019),almost opposite the War Memorial which came later.

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1787 Chapman's map
1823 Thomas Smith Pigot
1830 " " Pigot
1839 John Allt Pigot and Robson
1841 John Bradley census
1841 Sept. advert to rent Bury Free Press
1844 Charles Rayner White
1846 William Harvey Cross Kelly
1851 John Lorick census
1851 George Flatman Gardener
1855 " " White
1861 William Flatman (son of previous) census
1871 " " census
1881 " " census
1885 " " all directories
1891 " " census
1892 Arthur Flatman (son of previous) Kelly
1900 " " Star Brewery Suffolk Records
1901 Charles Skinner " " census
1904 Frederick E Cowles " " Kelly
1908 " " " " Kelly
1910 planning sought for conversion Suffolk Records
1918. plans for 3 cottages conversion Suffolk Records





1905


The inn is up the lane in front of the small building,
which appears to be used for advertising the beers.
The left hand side would be to the present entrance to Albert House Stables


2018, the Inn was the rear part of these premises

BACK to SEARCH page