Newmarket Local History Society
A corroboration of research by members of the Society into the
history of the pubs, clubs and hotels of Newmarket
When Saint Peter sees him coming,
He will leave the Gates ajar;
For He knows he's had his Hell on earth,
Has the man behind the bar
Tony Pringle, Peter Norman and David Rippington, having spent much time, over many years, researching the old pubs of Newmarket, gathering information from other members such as Les Jewel, Joan Shaw and Mary Basham, decided it was time to bring all the data together in one place. This is it....|
The exact status of each establishment is not always known, some may have been public houses as we know them or mere beerhouses, some "real hotels", some glorified lodging houses or indeed off licences. The history of most clubs is usually quite vague, their records being very much harder to find.
It has not been possible to ascertain the dates of licence changes, the entries showing dates and licensees' name in most cases can only show there is a public reference to that person at those premises at the time.
One insurmountable omission is the lack of census information for the St Mary's side of town in 1851. Somewhere in the mists of time this was lost or destroyed. All Saints side record did survive, but there was little that side of town at that time.
Two other factors must delay completion of this task
A..The Newmarket Journal archived copies are not on line, and there are 133 years worth of hard copy to read !
B..Since much of the time Newmarket was included in Cambridgeshire for records, it is to that County Records Office we must turn BUT that office is currently (May 2019) closed due to its removal to Ely, thus ruling out visits until late 20019, early 2020.
Being of the "belt and braces brigade", a book will also be compiled so that there is a hard copy of at least one stage of the project.
Hopefully credit can be given for the images presented here, but as the photographs were collected by several persons, over many years, the provenance of many is completely unknown. Even amongst ourselves, it cannot always be said for sure whether a photograph was given to Tony by Peter, or vice versa (and even then the origin was probably unrecorded). Many indeed may be found on other websites, but were acquired by those mentioned above before websites had been invented. However our thanks go to the Newmarket Journal and the Old Newmarket website for their assistance at all times. Luckily most of our images were shot before 1957 and so should be out of copyright, but we do try to add a courtesy "thank you" where we do know the donor.
WARNING..Whereas all possible sources of information have been explored, the directories are not always the most accurate. It can be found at times that a directory places a publican in a pub for several years after his death.
Above is a map taken from Peter May's book "Newmarket Medieval and Tudor" with his impression of how Newmarket would have looked in 1472. The key is here Since the whole area has been completely redeveloped, below is a 1903 map of the Rookery This aerial photo taken in the early 1920's shows several pubs/hotels
# tenants/owners # tenant/owners 1 John Balow aka Bladesmith, Ralph Balow 31 William, Thomas & Henry Cheveley 2 William Buntyng 32 Nicholas Bocher, William Jourdon 3 Thomas Helbye 33 Henry Cheveley 4 Ralph Balow 34 John Leycestre 5 John Wykes 35 Ralph Cooke 6 THE SHIP William Nameskyll 36 Roger Holyngworth 7 THE BEAR Thomas Depden 37 Richard Deresley 8 John Pere, Richard Gateward, John Laste 38 THE SWAN John Kyrkeby, Roger Holyngworth 9 William Aylenoth 39 THE GRIFFIN Willam Baron, Arthur Greysson, Leonard Beale, Richard Hamerton 10 William Palgrave, John Cracke 40 THE BULL Richard Motte, Arthur Greysson 11 John Ray, Ralph Hancocks, Thomas Percyvale 41 Ralph Lote 12 John Ray, Ralph Lote 42 SARACEN'S HEAD William Farwell, Roger Mayner, Arthur Greysson 13 Ralph & Richard Gateward, Ralph Lote 43 Vicar of Wickhambrook, Thomas Deden 14 John Leiston, Roger Holyngworth 44 John Ickelyngham, John Wyles 15 MAIDENHEAD John Archer, Henry Dale 45 The Dundich (Watercourse) 16 William Mey, Christopher Roughe 46 BULLSYARD John Wykes 17 THE SWORD John Higham, Arthur Greysson, John & David Ayers 47 Thomas Quylter, Ellis Jordon 18 THE POUND John Higham, Richard Gatweward, John Bonde 48 John Kydde 19 THE CHRISTOPHER John Wright 49 Ralph Lote 20 THE BELL Henry Dale 50 Ralph Lote, John Cracke, Roger Holyngworth 21 John Upryght, John Yeresley 51 THE FANFAIR Simon Funston 22 John Upryght, John Yeresley 52 Ralph Lote, John Kevin 23 Thomas Depden 53 Ralph Lote, John Grygge 24 Katherine Poperyk 54 Ralph Lote, Henry Dale 25 John Wykes 55 THE FANFAIR WAY Simon Funston 26 John Bede 56 BULLSYARD 27 Thomas Pateryk 57 THE FAIRWAY Richard Motte, Arthur Greysson 28 THE RAM John Withall 58 SHRAGGERY ROW 29 THE HART John Redere, Prior of Fordham 59 FAIRSTEAD, or St Mary's Square 30 Walter Bocher, Henry Cheveley
which hopefully can be updated when we find better maps detailing the various lanes
some of which had ceased to trade. For reference, the 2 green crosses were the trees either side of the gate to Albion Lodge
and were originally still in place when the Market Square was opened, exactly halfway along the car square, opposite Autozone
Above is a map taken from Peter May's book "Newmarket Medieval and Tudor" with his impression of how Newmarket would have looked in 1472. The key is here
Since the whole area has been completely redeveloped, below is a 1903 map of the Rookery
This aerial photo taken in the early 1920's shows several pubs/hotels