JOCKEY CLUB ROOMS

Location:- High Street




The Jockey Club, instituted around 1750, when in Newmarket, initially at the Red Lion Inn, which was in the region of the current Corney & Barrow Wine Merchants. They then purchased land further down the High Street and built their own premises, on the current site. A very exclusive members club for those in authority over horse racing whose control passed when the British Horse Racing Authority was formed on 31 July 2007, after the merger of the British Horseracing Board (BHB) and the Horseracing Regulatory Authority (HRA).

The use of the Club facilities is no longer exclusive to members, fine dining and accommodation can be obtained if ones pocket is deep enough !.
There are scant records of the licensing of the premises in the past

click here to go to the Newmarket Shops website for more details

click here to go to the Jockey Club Rooms own website

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
24-11-2005 Peter Hamilton Amos The Jockey Club licensing register
2-5-2007 Allan John Clarke " " " "
26-2-2013 Charles E Howard " " " "
12-1-2019 Sarah Jane Walters (Mrs) " " " "


1825



about 1900, Subscription Rooms gates
(later to be the Racing Museum) to the left



c 1915



about 1909 -from the Roger Newman collection



about 1934 - from the Roger Newman collection



2007 - Mike Mingay




BACK to SEARCH page