MARQUIS OF GRANBY

Location:- corner of Granby Street with Park Lane

Brewery or Owner:-finally-



When the railway first came to Newmarket, "the Granby" fronted on to Railway Street, but that very soon was renamed Granby Street.
It was apparently extended in 1877 by Stewart & Paterson going by the stone over the doorway in Granby Street.
Since WW2 the pub passed through various brewers hands, from Stewart and Paterson to Watneys and finally Grand Metropolitan. The closure in 2006 left the street with just one of its original three pubs

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1851 Leonard Ruse Gardener
1857 Leonard Ruse fined 2/6 with costs, after hours drinking Cambridge Independent Press
1861 Leonard Ruse on Railway Street census
1869 Leonard Ruse on Granby Street Post Office
1871 Leonard Ruse census
1874 Leonard Ruse (died Dec.1874 Stewart & Paterson White
1879 William H Ruse? " " Cambridge Independent Press
1879 Sarah Ruse (Mrs)widow of Leoonard " " Kelly
1881 Albert William Ruse (son of Leonard) " " census
1885 Albert William Ruse " " White
1891 " " " " census
1901 " " " " census
1904 Albert William Ruse (died Sept 1910) " " Kelly
1908 Frank Browning Watney, Coombe & Reid Newmarket Journal
1911 Francis Browning (died Dec.1913) " " census
1914 S.A. Browning (Mrs) Watney, Coombe & Reid Bury Free Press
1914 William Page " " census
1916 William Page " " Kelly
1932 Charles F Reeve J.P. (died 1937) " " Bury Free Press
1939 Frederick Walker " " 1939 register
1940 E.W.Goodman " " Bury Free Press
? John Bootham Watney, Coombe & Reid
25-7-1974 William Thornton Berg Grand Metropolitan licensing records
? Margaret Halstead " "
1991 Peter Madden local knowledge
6-5-2004 Susan Harper sold by Enterprise Inns to Kipcroft Ltd Newmarket Journal
2006 licence surrendered closed for conversion to residential



1994


2009


2009



transformation under way 2016



now as Park Lane House


BACK to SEARCH page