Instituted in 1954 in the first floor of a storage building in the yard at the rear of the Waggon & Horses. Actually this building used to be the slaughter house when the live stock market occupied the rest of the yard.
From Mike Petty's Newmarket Scrapbook:-
"24th May 1954- Newmarket Town's new sports and social club was opened by the manager of West Ham United Football Club. Their first aim was to be a place where people interested in any kind of sport could meet and talk over a glass of beer. Secondly they wanted to put Newmarket Town Football Club back on its feet financially and in sporting glory. The past seasons had not been as successful as they would have liked, but they always tried to play good football.
Not specifically part of the Town Football Club, it did nevertheless provide some financial assistance to Newmarket Town Football Club (The Jockeys). Initially only about two thirds of the upper storey with the entrance at the pub end, it was later expanded and the entrance moved to nearer the centre of the building
|nothing on register|