SUBSCRIPTION ROOMS

Location:- High Street




The Subscription Rooms started back in the early 1800s as an elite members club where high ranking gamblers would arrange their bets, the populace at large waiting for word from inside before making their own wagers
From the reports of changes of use and voluntary liquidation in 1929 the Club had a varied life, but was always deemed to be one of the "respectable" clubs to which to belong.
In the immediate follow up of the bombing of the High Street and destruction of the telephone exchange, a temporary exchange was set up in the Subscription Room.

Finally closed in 1981 and was followed by the National Horseracing Museum.

From Mike Petty's Newmarket Scrapbook:-
"8th Decmeber 1981 - Newmarket history went under the hammer when the contents of one of the town’s gentlemen’s club were auctioned. The 200-year-old Subscription Rooms Club closed because of falling membership and the Jockey Club received the contents in lieu of payment for deterioration. The premises are now likely to become the home of a national racing museum."

It remains to be seen (2019) what purpose the building will serve now that the Museum has relocated.

click here to go to www.newmarketshops.info for more details

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1839 Albertus Thomas Pars Robson
1871 Janet McNaught (housekeeper) census
1892 Philip Henry Cambray (manager) Kelly
1901 Emily Cartwright (manageress) census
1911 Alice South (manageress) census
1916 Agnes Davis (manageress - fined &2 for black-out offence Bury Free Press
1926 Miss Davis Newmarket directory
1936 Dorothy Mates (Mrs) (manageress) " "


Subscription Rooms & Jockey Club c.1900 Thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the above photo


2015



BACK to SEARCH page