TEMPERANCE HOTEL
or COMMERCIAL HOTEL
or NEWMARKET HOTEL


Location:- Corner of Market Street and Albion Street, to the east of the entrance to Primrose Cottage Stabled

Owner:-




Temperance Hotels started around 1883. This one had been the Temperance Hotel certainly since 1891
Kelly's directory of 1883 had Henry Deer running a coffee and dining rooms in Market Street and BFP recorded the 5th anniversary in March 1888, and by 1891 he was proprietor of the Newmarket Temperance Hotel. It does appear that from starting with a small unit to the right of the entrance to Primrose Cottage Stables, over time it came to incorporate the larger unit to its right (believed to be the Eagle Inn, but that has yet to be confirmed). Certainly by the end, in the 1960's, the Newmarket Hotel was three times the frontage of the original hotel.

KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
1883 Henry Deer Kelly
1888 Henry Deer Bury Free Press
1891 Henry Deer census
1895 Henry Deer died 10 Aug.in Switzerland Andrews Newspaper Index
1901 Lucy Deer (Mrs) census
1911 Herbert Shepherd (in 1912 to Stanley Road Stores) Killed in Flanders in 1917 census
1915 Arthur Frederick Langley Bury Free Press
1939 " " 1939 register
1944 Alfred Jessop (died 1947) Bury Free Press
1947 Stephanie Jessop (Mrs) Bury Free Press
1951 Mrs Jessop given 3 months imprisonment for running brothel - reduced to £50 Bury Free Press
final closure not yet documented




First premises



Has to be post 1925 (year Playford's started)



1960's ?



1933



late 1960s



nothing left in 1970

BACK to SEARCH page