"SAPISTON WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of SAPISTON who died in the service of their country
Seven in the Great War of 1914-1919
The war memorial for Sapiston consists of a wall mounted plaque in St.Andrew's Church.
On the north wall, a shaped light grey marble plaque on a darker grey similarly shaped marble panel. Under a white cross is inscribed in gold lettering:-
AND IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF THIS PARISH
WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR
PTE. ARTHUR E.BAKER
PTE. ANTHONY BALAAM
1ST CPL.FRED G.BALAAM
PTE. PHILIP CAGE (M.M.)
"THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE"
There is also a framed, glazed list of subscribers to the memorial
The Bury Free Press of 18th December 1920 reported:-
SAPISTON'S WAR MEMORIAL - Fine Address by Canon Wilson
The Parish Church of Sapiston stands in lonely grandeur in the midst of field some quarter-mile from the main portion of the village, the old village which once stood near it having migrated to sites nearer the main roads. Nevertheless, on Sunday afternoon, in spite of heavy snow which made walking difficult, it was filled with a large congregation. The service was of a very special character, being connected with the unveiling of the mural tablet to the memory of the seven men of Sapiston who laid down their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918: Pte. Arthur Baker, Pte. Anthony Balaam, Lce.Cpl. Fred G.Balaam, Pte.Philip Cage (M.M. and B), Pte.Albert Cooper, Pte. G Elijah Frost, Pte.Maurice Howe. Notable amongst them was Pte.Philip Cage, the son of a soldier, who won the Military Medal and the Bar. The tablet on the wall of the nave is of marble, on a black marble slab, with gold lettering and is the work of Mr. A.Hanchett of Bury St.Edmunds.... ex Servicemen mustered in charge of Lt Stiff lined up in the pathway at the church porch to receive the Duke and Duchess of Grafton..... Canon Wilson preached an appropriate sermon from II Tim.iv.7......
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,