TALBOT, Frederick

No.12960, Corporal, Frederick TALBOT
Aged 33

8th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment
Killed in Action on Saturday, 1st July 1916

Frederick Talbot was born in Brandon on 10th November 1882 (Thetford Q4-1882 4B:382), son of John and Maria TALBOT (née GANT).

1891 census...Aged 8, he was at Sand Galls, Brandon with his father John TALBOT [40] labourer in timber yard; his mother Maria [39];sisters Maria [20] and Amy [5]; brothers Harry [12] labourer, John [11] and Ernest [1]. He had another elder brother Walter [16]. All were born in Brandon

1901 census...None of the family have been identified in this census nor has the death of his father which apparently was not registered in Thetford. He had already been discharged from the Army for falsifying his age on enlistment.

He married Alice Maud EDWARDS in Brandon on 10th December 1904.

1911 census...Aged 28, a labourer at manure works, he was at Mile End, Brandon with his wife Maud [29] and sons Herman (registered as Bertie Herman) [5] and Jack (registered as Frederick Jack) [2]. All born in Brandon. There had been one other child, Ernest Rupert (1905-1908)

On the Army "living relatives" form completed by his widow on 13th December 1919 the family then consisted of herself at 12 Mile End, Brandon, their sons Bertie 6-4-1906 and Frederick 5-7-1908. His mother Maria Talbot [66] at 9 Mile End, Brandon; brothers Walter [45] London Road, Brandon, Harry [43] 7 Bridge Road, Southampton, Jack (John) [41] Emneth Rd, Wisbech and Ernest [30] in Australia; sisters Maria [49] Meadow View, Lakenheath, Clara COUSINS [47] and Amy CHINN [36] both at 76 George Street, Grays, Essex and Ethel DIVER [28] at 42 Castle Street, Thetford.

click here to go to the Brandon at War website for more information

He attested in Thetford on 1st December 1897, for 6 years, in the Militia, 4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, No 3844, giving his age as 17 years 6 months, born and living in Brandon, a labourer for Mr Rought. He was 5 feet 5 inches (165.1 cm)tall, weighed 107 lbs (48.7 kg), chest 32" to 33.5" (81.3 to 85.1 cm), Church of England with blue eyes, light brown hair. He underwent 49 days of drill after enlistment. There this record ends.

Next he attested in Thetford on 15th June 1898 for 5 years (7 on Reserve) in the 15th Hussars, No.3807, acknowledging service in the Militia, 4th Norfolks. He gave his age as 18, born and living as a labourer in Brandon. He was now 5 feet 5.8 inches tall, weighing 123 lbs and chest 33/5" to 35.5".
He joined 15th Husssars at Twestledown Camp on 21st June 1898 and deserted on 1st November, rejoining on 19th December. Tried by District Courts Martial on 10th January 1899 he was found guilty of desertion and loss of kit and sentenced to 28 days imprisonment, hard labour and stoppages of pay. 6 days hard labour were remitted by GOC Eastern Div and all previous service forfeited. He returned to duty on 1st February 1899 but was then discharged on 25th February 1899 for having made a mis-statement as to age on enlistment. He had given his next of kin as Mother Maria Talbot, White Hart Lane, Brandon, brothers Walter of George Street, Brandon, Harry in 15th Hussars, John c/o Mr Wilkinson, Wisbech and Ernest at home with his mother.

On 2nd September 1914 he attested once more, this time in Norwich for the 8th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, No 12960. He gave his date of birth as 10th November 1882, a married labourer living at 12a Mile End, Brandon. He was now 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighed 189 lbs, chest 39" to 41".
He was at Shornecliffe from 3rd September 1914 until 2nd October, then went to Colchester until 30th April 1915 before going to Codford on 1st May 1915. His one black mark was a reprimand for overstaying his pass by 22 hours 45 minutes on 26th April 1915 at Colchester.
He embarked for France on 25th July 1915. He had a spell off duty with lumbago from 13th January to 24th January 1916.
He is recorded as wounded on 1st July 1916, dying that day.

His widow was sent his personal effects which only consisted on one pocket book. She was awarded a weekly pension of 21 shillings 6 pence (£1.07) for herself and two children

He died on the first day of the battle of the Somme, the worst day in British military history.
In the morning the 8th Norfolk assembled just before 5:20, with the 6th Berkshire on their left and 7th Queens on their right, just north of Carnoy, the objective being the German trenches SW of Montauban. At 7:20 the barrage began, swiftly followed by a retaliatory barrage and a German mine was exploded which did little damage. The advance quickly took MINE trench with little opposition or loss. By 7:40 MINE Support trench and MINE crater had been taken and by 8:40 BUND Support trench had been taken. Now however the advance slowed as very heavy machine gun fire from BRESLAU and BACK trenches enfiladed. "D" Company was reduced to 90 men and no officers, "C" Coy was down to 2 subalterns and about 100 men. With back up from "A" and "B" Companies POMMIERS Trench, The LOOP and MONTAUBAN ALLEY were eventually taken but at a cost.

CWGC records show 105 men killed, only 18 having identified graves.

Frank MUTUM was killed in the same action see here

Frederick is commemorated on the headstone of his wife in Brandon

Frederick Talbot is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial, pier and face 1C/1D

click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details