No.784311, Private, Octavius Frederick WRIGHT
5th Canadian Mounted Rifles
Octavius Frederick Wright was born in Castle Camps on 25th March 1892 (Linton Q2-1892 3B:516), baptised in Castle Camps on 29th May 1892, son of Walter
and Marina WRIGHT (née SMITH ?).
1901 census...Aged 9, he was at Haverhill Road, Castle Camps with his father  carpenter born Helions Bumpstead; his mother Maria  born Belchamp St Pauls; sister Ella; brothers Harry  and Percy Thomas . All the children were born in Castle Camps. He had an elder brother Arthur  and sister Lilly .
1911 census...Aged 19, a journeyman hay cutter, he was at Garden Field House, Castle Camps with his parents; sister Ella Rose; brother Percy Thomas and aunt Constance WRIGHT  born Poslingford (Arthur's wife).
Canadian Archives:- RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 10607 - 23, Item Number: 324157|
He attested in Dundas, Ontario on 14th February 1916, (for the 129th Overseas Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force) giving his date of birth as 25th March 1892, He was 5 feet 7.5 inches ( 171.5 cm)tall, chest 33" to 36" (83.8 to 91.4 cm) with blue eyes and dark brown hair, Church of England. He was a bricklayer's labourer living in Dundas, born Castle Camps, England, next of kin mother Maria. His service record is not on line yet (2016) and the Canadians lost from "Sip" to "Z" of their circumstances of death cards.
October 1916 he was transferred to the 123rd Battalion and on December 5th to the 60th battalion before joining the 5th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles (date unknown).
The war diary:- Front line - 24th - Weather fine and warm. Our right front and communications trenches were shelled at intervals during the day.The enemy subjected our front line at H.25.d.9.7.to a short bombardment at about 2 am. Left flank between our left post and 4th CMR (Canadian Mounted Rifles) post at H.25.d.3.3. was patrolled frequently during the night.
O.C. "D Coy" reports discovery of a mine at H.25.d.7.7.
If the map used was sheet 36c, then all this took place where the Aerodrome Lens-Benifontaine sits today, just NE of Loos-en-Gohelle. Below, in the white circle you can see lines of old trenches. The red cross marks where the mine was found. From the above the Germans would have been toward the top.
click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details