TATEM, William, [ Lord Glanely ]




TATEM, Willam, 1st Baron Glanely of St.Fagan's
Aged 74
Killed by Enemy Action on Sunday 28th June, 1942

William TATEM was created a baronet in 1916 and 1st Baron Glanely of St. Fagan's in the County of Glamorgan, in 1918. The son of Thomas and Louisa TATEM, he was born on 6th March 1868 in Appledore, North Devon from where he originally went to sea.
He moved to Cardiff at the age of 18 and began work at the shipping offices of Anning Brothers. In 1897 he founded the Lady Lewis Steamship Company with a ship of that name and in 1910 this became the Tatem Steam Ship Company. He was a benefactor of Cardiff University, Cardiff and donated the money to build the 1904 Chemistry and Physics block. He was married to Ada Mary, Baroness Glanely.

On 7th February 1938 he arrived back at Southampton the the SS "Alcantara" from Rio de Janeiro, accompanied by his chauffeur/valetFrederick DANNER



He was in Weston Super Mare on holiday from Cardiff at the time of his death, together with Frederick DANNER, at 16 Malvern Road, Weston Super Mare
As his son Thomas Shandon TATEM pre-deceased him, dying in 1905, his titles became extinct with his death.
Lord Tatem's ship were all named after family or villages where they had connections, so Exning and Landwade were part of the fleet. His nephew, George GIBSON became a member of the company in 1912 and on Lord Glanely's death, the Exning and Landwade properties came to the Gibson family.


LANDWADE 1961 -1972
0.N.302645 7856 g; 4491 n 460' .6 x 60' 2" x 28'.1
4 cyi. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd., Newcastle.
5.1961: Completed by Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland for Atlantic Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd. (W.J. Tatem Ltd. managers).
1972: Sold to Tonia Maritime Co. Ltd. (Union Commercial S.S. Co. managers), Cyprus and renamed MARYTONIA.
1976: Sold to Karavos Cia. Naviera S.A., Greece and renamed SWEDE TONIA.
1981 sold renamed UNILUCK,
1984 broken up at Jamagar, India.

EXNING 1965 1973
0.N.306260 7465 g; 4183 n 516.0 x 70'.6 x 29'.11
3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. SuIzer oil engine by G. Clark & N.E.M. Ltd., Newcastle.
2.1965: Completed by Austin & Pickersgill Ltd., Sunderland for Atlantic Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd. (W.J. Tatem Ltd. managers).
1973: Sold to Maravilia Compania Naviera S.A., Panama and renamed MARITSA.
1974: Renamed MARITSA III.
1983 sold renamed CYPRUS TRADER,
1985 broken up at Gadani Beach.



Of the many civilians of the Commonwealth whose deaths were due to enemy action in the 1939-1945 War, the names of some 67,092 are commemorated in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour, located near St. George's Chapel in Westminster Abbey, London.


photo: Simon Knott www.suffolkchurches.co.uk




William is buried in Cathays Cemetery, Cardiff

click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details

BACK