The memorial in the churchyard of Holy Innocents, Great Barton consists of a Portland stone Calvsry cross on an octagonal column, above an octagonal plinth on two steps, in total 4.75 metres high. The inscription is on the face towards the entrance to the churchyard, and the other 7 faces carry the 22 names of the fallen. Given are rank, initials, surname and unit.
The memorial was un-veiled on 3rd April 1921 by Major H.T. Copinger-Hill M.C. (5th Suffolks) and dedicated by the Vicar of Great Barton, the Reverend Dr.W.Hatt Lipscombe. Designed by architects Hunt and Coates of Bury St.Edmunds and built by F H Goddard of Bury St.Edmunds

On the same day, inside the church, a brass wall plaque was unveiled, with the 22 names embossed in order of Regiment, then battalion, then surname

The stone wall tablet, inside the church, for WW2, was unveiled on 9th September 1951 with the names of the 7 fallen in red, in alphabetical order of surname. Designed by H.Munro Cautley and made by E E Saunders of Ipswich. Who unveiled it and who dedicated it has not so far been found.

Great Barton Holy Innocents

go BACK to Great Barton home page

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.