"IXWORTH WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of IXWORTH who died in the service of their country
31 (plus 1 not on memorial) in the Great War of 1914-1919 and 14 from 1939-145
Photos - Adrian Pye
The Ixworth memorial at the front of St.Mary's Church is a granite Celtic cross on a tapering column, above an inscribed tapering block,
all on a three step base, surrounded by a low metal post and chain fence. On a base 1.3 metres square and overall height of 3.3 metres.
Sculpted by Messrs Hanchett of Bury St.Edmunds and built by E E Saunders of Ipswich. Unveiled on 20th December 1919 by Colonel Parry Cooke and dedicated by Canon R.F.Wilson. Re-dedicated on 31st October 1948 after the WW2 names had been added.
The inscription on the block has the names from WW1 on the West and East faces, and the dedication on the South face, above the WW2 names on the top step. The dedication reads :-
GREATER GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF THIS PARISH
WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR
"THE MEN WERE VERY GOOD UNTO US AND
WE WERE NOT HURT...THEY WERE A WALL
UNTO US BOTH BY NIGHT AND DAY"
SAMUEL XXV, 15 AND 16
In the church, on the right hand wall of the chancel, is a two light stained glass window, by Herbert Powell in 1966, depicting the parables of the Sower and the Good Shepherd, in memory of Brigadier Richard Cartwright who was killed in 1944
Ixworth (St Mary the Virgin) Church go BACK to IXWORTH HOME PAGE page They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Ixworth (St Mary the Virgin) Church
go BACK to IXWORTH HOME PAGE page
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,