RUNNACLES, Harry Arthur Clifford

No.12080, Lance Corporal, Harry RUNNACLES
Aged 21

11th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment
Killed in Action on Saturday, 28th April 1917

Harry Arthur Clifford Runnacles was born in Badingham on 11th July 1895 (Hoxne Q3-1895 4A:845), baptised in St John's, Badingham on 4th August 1895, son of Nathaniel and Harriet Elizabeth RUNNACLES (née BRANTON).

1901 census...Aged 5, he was at Low Street, Badingham with his widowed mother Harriet RUNNACLES (entered as Runnicles) [41] born Monewdon, Suffolk; his brothers Fred [15], Herbert [13] farm labourers and Albert [3 months]; sister Gertrude [10]. All the children were born in Badingham. His father had died in 1899.

On 21st April 1902 he was admitted to Felixstowe Fairfield C Int.School, living at 5 Felix Terrace, Chapel Lane.

In 1902 his mother married Alfred WARD.

On 1st April 1906 he was admitted to St Peter and St Pauls's Voluntary Aided Primary School, Eye, living at Willow House. Left on 10th October 1906 when leaving the village

1911 census...Aged 15, a newsboy, he was at 194 High Road, Walton, Suffolk with his mother, now Mrs WARD and brother Albert.

He is recorded on the list of members killed on active service by the General Workers Union, Ixworth branch, so seemingly he at least had moved to the Livermere area

He enlisted in Bury St Edmunds.
The action where he was killed was the attack on the chemical works at Rouex. from Lt Col Murphy's "History of the Suffolk Regiment" and the war diary:-
28th April - 4.25 a.m. Barrage commenced, 4:27 a.m. battalion advanced but was held up and driven back by very considerable hostile machine gun fire from a trench which had been entirely missed by our barrage. What was left of the battalion formed up in our front line.
5:30 a.m. Major Tuck went up to our front line to reorganise our defences. In the front line were 5 officers, 300 other ranks (including 2 officers and 60 other ranks from 16th Royal Scots.
9:45 a.m. The enemy counter attacked from Roeux, capturing MOUNT PLEASANT WOOD and part of CEYLON TRENCH.
10 a.m. All communications with the front line were cut. The enemy driven out of CEYLON TRENCH and MOUNT PLEASANT WOOD.
10 p.m. The battalion moved out of front line trench & support line to enable the heavy artillery to bombard the chemical works. They moved back into the front line at midnight.

On this horrific day for the 11th Suffolks, CWGC records 106 killed of which 82 have no known grave.

photo: Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Harry RUNNACLES is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, bay 4

click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details