30407, Lance Corporal, Sydney William DORE
Aged 33

2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards
Killed in Action on Tuesday 27th August 1918

Born in Newmarket in Q1-1885 [Newmarket 3b:574] to Edmund Wilton and Catherine DORE (née NEWELL) of 10 Bath Terrace, Mill Hill, Newmarket.

1891 census...Sydney Wm [6] was at 10 Bath Terrace, Newmarket with his father Edmund Wilton [36] a solicitors clerk born Bottisham, and his mother Catherine [36] born Comberton.

1901 census...Sydney was a solicitors clerk, still at Bath Terrace with his widowed father, mother having died in 1898.
His father married again in Depwade,Norfolk, to Edith Amy Rix EVANS.

1911 census...Sydney [26] a law clerk, was at 1 Park View, Park Lane, Newmarket with his father and stepmother.

The Bury Free Press of 14th September 1918 recorded :-
NEWMARKET SOLICITOR'S CLERK KILLED - Mr. E W Dore, of Park Lane, Newmarket, managing clerk for Messrs d'Albani and Ellis,solicitors, has received news that his only son,Lance Corpl. Sydney Dore, Grenadier Guards, was killed in action on France on August 27th. Lance Corpl. Dore was 33 years of age, and had before joining the Army, been assistant clerk to the Newmarket Division of Magistrates for five or six years.

No Army records have been found for Sydney.

From the War Diary for the 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards 26th-28th August 1918 we have:

At midnight on 26th a conference was held at Battalion HQ. Orders not received until 1.30 am. The Battalion was to press forward with 2nd Coldstream Guards on its left and 62nd Division on its right to penetrate and occupy enemy defences in and south of Ecoust and Lougatte.

Zero hour was 7 am on 27th August when a field gun barrage was put down on a line 500 yards from the leading company, creeping forward at the rate of 100 yards in two minutes. At zero hour the Battalion advanced from its forming up position and within a few minutes of advancing came under intense M.G. fire from the German M.G. nests in Banks Trench and Banks Reserves and from this moment any movement resulted in casualties. The frontage allotted to the Battalion was 1500 yards which made flank connection of the utmost difficulty.

Capt Cornforth MC led his company forward from the sunken road and found that owing to the intensity of the M.G. fire and the proximity of the enemy a prolonged advance on his left was impossible- all the more because the Battalion on his left had already been held up. At this point Lt Oliver was killed. Capt Cornforth therefore led forward his right half company hoping thereby to relieve the pressure on his left and compel the enemy to retire by this outflanking move. During this advance the M.G. fire grew more and more intense and the further forward he advanced the more casualties were suffered from withering and accurate enfilade fire from his left. The advance of this half of No 3 Company was held up temporarily by a very strongly entrenched machine gun nest in Banks Trench which swept the whole of the forward slope of the ground leading up to it. Enfilade fire from the left flank was equally severe and in the capture of this position very heavy casualties were suffered…2nd Lt FJ Langley being killed.

At this point No 1 Company who throughout their advance had suffered heavily, was sent up to reinforce No 3 Company and assist in capturing the position. Lts Jesper and Giles had already been wounded, and having no officers, the remainder of this Company from this time came under the command of Capt Cornforth With these reinforcements Banks Trench was rushed and occupied just north of L'Homme Mort, but the M.G. fire from the left flank had not abated and now fire was opened on them from Banks Reserve. Not having enough troops to extend to the flanks and drive the enemy from the northern position of Banks Trench, it was decided to remain in the position already gained. Consolidation and reorganisation were impossible during daylight owing to the intensity of fire: so also was communication to the flank and rear.

No 2 Company at zero hour moved out in diamond formation from Hally Copse and immediately came under the most intense M.G. fire from the BE and West. Capt Martin-Smith at once ordered his Company to extend. During the extension, he himself and 2/Lt de Lisle were wounded, Lt Gwyer shortly afterwards being killed. The 50 OR which remained in the Company then came under command of L/Sgt Frost. Further advance was impossible and this Company consolidated as far as enemy fire would permit along the sunken road in B.10.b

No 4 Company advanced on the right boundary of the Battalion along Mory Switch and the southern end of Banks Trench, eventually establishing a position in Vraucourt Trench in C.13.d., keeping up to the barrage the whole time but suffering heavy casualties from both flanks and the front. This Company captured a German Battalion Commander and 180 OR during the advance. Lt Morgan having penetrated the enemy's position to a depth of 2,000 yards beyond any other British troops, being under fire form all sides, decided to withdraw his Company after dark in order to get in touch with troops on his flanks.
On the night of August 27th the Battalion consolidated a line running parallel to and 200 yards west of Banks Trench, with one company of the Irish Guards brought up on the left to fill the gap between the Battalion and the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards. During the evening the M.G. fire grew less intense and there were signs of the enemy having been forced to retire. This was found to be the case, for on August 28th the Battalion was able to push strong patrols and advanced the line to Banks Reserves, gaining ground to the extent of some 1,700 yards. This line was handed over to the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders on the night of August 28th.

On relief the Battalion moved back to the trenches east of Hamlincourt. Lt Col Raschy DSO., Capt Cornforth, Lt Briscoe and Lt Morgan were the only officers who came out with the Battalion.
Other Rank losses were No.1 Coy…32 No.2 Coy…51 No.3 Coy….75 No.4 Coy…48

It has to said, around 200 men lost from one Battalion alone to gain 1 mile, it does seem incredible.

His memorial in Newmarket cemetery Old Ground E:446A

Sydney Dore's original burial
The Grenadier Guards cemetery was emptied in 1919 and Sydney and his chums moved to Mory Abbey

photo: Rodney Gibson
Sydney is buried in Mory Abbey Military Cemetery, France-Ref: V.C.9
and also commemorated on his family headstone in Newmarket Cemetery

click here to go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for full cemetery/memorial details