"SIX MILE BOTTOM WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of SIX MILE BOTTOM who died in the service of their country
Sixteen in the Great War of 1914-1919
Six Mile Bottom war memorial is on the grass verge between the playing field and the A1304 London Road. It was unveiled in 1924. The memorial takes the form of a rough hewn Latin
cross bearing a sword, upon a rounded plinth on a square granite base all within a low granite post and chain fence. The proximity to the road means that
together with the effect of over hanging trees the lead lettering is quickly rendered unreadable. This nearness to the road led to the memorial being
demolished in 2003 by a car. The memorial was re-constructed on the same spot.|
Looking at the postcard it appears that C.BISHOP was added after the initial unveiling.
IN HONOURED MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF SIX MILE
BOTTOM WHO FELL IN THE WAR
then in two columns the surnames and initials of the men
BRASNETT A.POTTER M.H.
BRASNETT W.E..POTTER A.F.
CLAYDON H.C.F.PLUMB F.J.
CLARKE H.S.TAYLOR H.A.
CRISPIN J.WEBB A.
GRAINGER T.WOODS F.
GRASS P.WATTS G.
LAWRENSON H.C.BISHOP C.
There are no further memorials within the church, which did not even exist until the 1930's.
After the car hit it in 2003
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,