"THURSTON WAR MEMORIAL"
To the eternal memory of the men of THURSTON .... .... They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
who died in the service of their country
3 in the South African wars - 13 in the GREAT WAR - 9 in 1939-1945
The memorial is a free standing monument of Forest of Dean stone, 2.7 metres tall. A Celtic cross on a tall slightly tapering rectangular shaft on three stepped plinth on a concrete base, surrounded on three sides by a post and chain barrier, with three brick steps on front side down to roadway
The dedication is on the lower part of the shaft, on the west face. The names from the Great War are on the larger centre step, in date of death order. Those from the Second World War are on the upper step. The South African wars victims have individual brass plaques within the church.
Erected by Messrs Hanchett of Bury St.Edmunds, it was unveiled by Major E.E.Pearson on 20th November 1921, dedicated by Reverend W.B.Bladon, and after World War Two,on 6th June 1948 by Brigadier E.H.W. Backhouse, Colonel, Suffolk Regiment. Reported in the Bury and Norwich Post of 26th November 1920. The dedication reads:
On the lower part of the shaft:
and on the centre step
"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"
followed by names, then on the lower step below 1919 and Pte Wallis:
ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF THURSTON
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,