"CULFORD SCHOOL WAR MEMORIALs"
To the eternal memory of the men of the They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
EAST ANGLIAN SCHOOL and CULFORD SCHOOL
who died in the service of their country
Sixty Four in the Great War and Forty Seven in 1939-1945 and Two since 1945
There are two bronze tablets, mounted on oak frames. Each frame is headed by the school badge. The Great War tablet, created by V.E.CANDEY, was dedicated on 15th July 1921 at the
original premises of the East Anglian School in Northgate Avenue, Bury St.Edmunds and reported on in the Bury Free Press.
on 16th July. The 1939-1945 tablet was unveiled on 1st August 1948, and a fund set up of £1,000 for the sons of dead Old Culfordians
At the old school in Bury St. Edmunds, the pavilion stood as a memorial to those who served and fell in the Great War. Part of a full report of the proceedings on Speech Day at the East Anglian School, reported by the Bury Free Press of 22nd July 1922.
THE MEMORIAL PAVILION-
At the conclusion of proceedings in the assembly hall, the company resorted to the new pavilion. The Headmaster expressed thanks to Mrs. Hartley for consenting to open the building and explained that is was thought that the pavilion should stand not only in honour of those who gave their lives for Country and the cause of Righteousness, but also those who went out with their lives in their hands: therefore the brass tablet which they hoped to erect and a drawing of which was present in the building and inscribed.
"In honour of 58 old East Anglians who gave their lives in the Great War and of some 400 others who served in it". Mr.Newman handed Mrs. Hartley a key tied with the school colours and the lady duly declared the pavilion open, amid applause.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,